Our Sponsors

Monday, April 1, 2013

Today's workout and how I screwed up

So, yesterday I outlined my workout.  Unfortunately, the version that actually got published wasn't what I meant to be published.  No, that version was really to much.  Um...oops?

Yeah, I'm sorry about that one guys.

You see, that was a first draft, but after a bit more research, I found that I had too many exercises.  This is a potential problem when you're creating on your own.  Luckily, I continued to research and realized that I might be overdoing it with that.

Here's what was published yesterday:

  • Kettlebell clean and press
  • Kettlebell row
  • Kettlebell snatch
  • Kettlebell floor press
  • Kettlebell goblet squat
  • Kettlebell deadlift
  • Kettlebell swing
That's not what actually happened.  In fact, due to my own screw up, I didn't even do the corrected workout.

Here's what I actually did:
  • Kettlebell clean and press
  • Kettlebell row
  • Kettlebell floor press
  • Kettlebell deadlift
  • Kettlebell goblet squat.
That was eight rounds.  Most of these exercises exceeded 30 reps (The goblet squat didn't only because I ran out of juice).  It was a killer workout.

So how did I screw this one up?

First, I should have skipped the floor press.  The idea was to have one pressing exercise and one pulling exercise.  I was going to use the clean and press for the pressing exercise (though, I guess it has a pulling component as well).

Second, there is no kettlbell swing.  I just straight forgot about it, which means no direct work for the abs.  I don't believe that abdominal exercises are necessary for the much coveted "six pack", but a strong core helps build a strong body.  I blew it there.

You see, when you're doing all of this for yourself, you can easily screw up.  Make sure you plan ahead, which I completely didn't do.  I had my interval timer and my workout, but I didn't check it.  My son is here on spring break, so he could have coached me through getting the exercises right, but I didn't even think about it.  I just knew what I was doing.

Now, the up side is that I still got a pretty decent workout.  My arms are blasted, and that's a good thing.  I haven't felt that so far with the kettlebells, so it's a welcome experience.  My legs aren't, but that's probably in part to how well they were trained last week.  I'll have to revisit that one for Wednesday.

Does it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about?  Probably, but there's method to my madness.

You see, one thing you need to do is understand what works best for you.  You need to become a science experiment of sorts and learn what that is.  I'm still experimenting to learn what will work best for me.  You need to do the same.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and let my arms rest up just a bit.  Plus, I have a serious craving for some protein right about now!

No comments:

Post a Comment