Our Sponsors

Friday, March 29, 2013

Time to brag!

Milestone image from Flickr, by Smabs Sputzer
I detailed my workout a while back.  It was a beginners kettlebell workout that I cooked up on my own.  It's probably not the best, but it sure did kick my butt the first day.  I had to crawl over to the couch.  So much for active rest that day, let me tell you.

For those of you who don't really want to click the links, here's what my workout consisted of:


  • Kettlebell Swing x 10
  • Kettlebell upright row x 10
  • Kettlebell high pull x 10
  • Kettlebell one armed military press x 10 (Each Arm)
  • Kettlebell squat x 10
Like I said, that first day with this about killed me.  The next few days afterward about killed me too, as my legs rebelled against me.  In all fairness to them, I had been rather cruel.

So now, on the the bragging portion of my day.  One set was a lot.  Today?  I hit all three, relatively easily at that.  Color me shocked!

Wednesday, two sets were fine, but it meant it was time to push it.  That meant another set, right?

Apparently not. 

Now, I have to completely rethink my workout, which is fine.  Now, I'll be going for reps over a set period of time versus a set number of reps.  I've downloaded an interval timer app for my Android phone, and there are several others I'll take a look at if this one doesn't work out.   I'll do a review of these a little later and let you know what I think, but that's a topic for another day.

For now, I'm stoked!  Milestones are important, and don't let anyone fool you about that.  People want to see progress.  We're never content with the same old same old.  Even those who do the five pound dumbbells for years aren't content with it, they want results.  They just don't quite understand why they're not getting them.

Today, I get to croon a bit.  I've hit my first fitness milestone, and it was a significant one for a guy trying to get back on the workout wagon.  What now?  Cake and ice cream?  Hardly.  Tonight I eat clean.  I honestly believe that clean eating is a big part of why I hit this milestone, giving me the right kind of fuel to train hard and then get results from my rest.

I'll take the weekend off, because that was part of the plan.  On Monday?  On Monday I get brutal.

I am an athlete.

Milestones are just the next starting line.  Now it's time to get serious.  If you could see my face now, you'd see the evil smile across it. 

This is gonna be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment