Our Sponsors

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My Kettlebell Workout

Image from Flickr, by andrewmalone
I've spent most of my time talking about diet, because that's what I know better.  I lost that 35 lbs that I keep prattling on about purely through diet.  This was during the time of having a newborn baby in the house, running a business, and taking care of not just my home by helping my mother out as well.

However, being thin isn't being fit.  To be fit, you must perform some kind of exercise.


I've talked about why I chose the kettlebell as my "home gym" of choice, but I haven't outlined my workout.  This is a very, very basic workout and it's my own concoction, so I'm always open to critiquing.

  • Kettlebell Swing x 10
  • Kettlebell upright row x 10
  • Kettlebell high pull x 10
  • Kettlebell one armed military press x 10 (Each Arm)
  • Kettlebell squat x 10
This is a very rudimentary exercise circuit, and yes, this is a circuit.  You do all of these, then go back through them up to three times.

I'm not going to lie.  I'm out of shape.  I made it through one circuit total when I last did this exercise.  However, once I can make it through three circuits well enough, I'll expand it up.  There are a few facts to keep in mind if you want to do this plan.

First, I had to practice doing kettlebell swings.  I watched tons of YouTube videos, and read as much as I could.  If at all possible, it's far better to work with a certified kettlebell trainer.  For me, that wasn't an option, so I adapted.

Kettlebells can hurt you if you're not careful.  The first time I did swings, I used more back and hips and I felt it there something fierce.  That's why it's best to use as low a weight as humanly possible to learn the technique.  The ideal weight to start?  Nothing.  Honestly, it's not necessary.  You can add a bit of weight as you go if you like.  Here's a good starter set available through my Amazon store with 10, 15 lbs, 20 lbs and 25 lbs solid cast iron kettlebells.

Second, the repetitions only count if you follow perfect form.  If you're working out at home, this means absolute honesty.  If fatigue will prevent you from doing it right, then don't do it.  Cut the workout short if you have to and build up.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Everyone has to start somewhere, and just because I did something while out of shape doesn't mean there's something wrong with you if you can't.  We all have different starting points, and that's OK.  What matters is that we are constantly in motion.

Third, this particular workout is about time.  Do it as quickly as you can, while maintaining proper form.  This will help build explosiveness and, while doing more than one circuit, will build cardiovascular endurance as well.

At least, that's my theory.

All I know for certain is that I had a fairly solid workout that only took a few minutes.  This leaves me plenty of time to work, sharing this stuff with you guys, and spend tons of time with my amazing daughter.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment