Our Sponsors

Saturday, March 30, 2013

This is Sparta!

Image from Flickr, by pasukaru76
Why train?

It's a fair question.  Obviously, the answers are often "health" or "lose weight" and so on, and there's nothing wrong with that.  However, athletes often thrive most when they have an event they're trying for, and we are athletes, right?

That's why I've got my target set for a Spartan Race in my future.


My friend Warren came over for supper last night.  He's run several of these, earning something called a "Trifecta" in the process, where he's completed Spartan Races at all three distances.  I'd been interested in Spartan Races for a while, and really any obstacle race, for some time.

Yeah, running distance doesn't do a lot for muscle, but these are obstacle races.

In order to train for these, you also need strength.  When I run this, I'm going to have to climb ropes, scale walls, crawl under barbed wire, and a pile of other things.  These will need strength and flexibility. 

Honestly, races like the Spartan and Tough Mudder don't rely purely on endurance.  They require all aspects of your fitness to be firing on all cylinders...unless you're interested in being miserable.  Now, I'm not even close to this right now.  However, I am an athlete.  This is just another milestone to be achieved.

That's the thing about being an athlete.  You are never finished.  Each milestone is just the next starting line.  Right now, the milestone will be finishing a Spartan Race.  After that, it'll be a Trifecta.  After that?  Who knows, maybe a double or triple Trifecta.  Who knows?

What I do know is that this athlete is going to push himself to meet this milestone.  It's going to hurt.  It's going to be brutal.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment