Our Sponsors

Friday, April 5, 2013

Today's workout and an initial review of Tai Chi

Image from Flickr, by Chefzwerg
First, my workout.  No pain, except for the good kind

I asked for a lot of advice on Google+, and got some great advice.  I decided to try kettlebell swings again today, focusing primarily on form.  I have a tendency to get sloppy and not realize it, so I spent extra time focused on my form.  No pain at all.

So, either form was the problem, or it was something else completely separate from the exercise.  I can live with that.


As for the rest of the day's training, it went well.  Good workout all around.  I'm pleased. Still only got one set, but it was because I didn't think my arms could have taken more.  In truth, a full minute of the exercise might be a little much for multiple sets, but I'll ride this pony for the time being and see how things work out (pardon the pun).

Now, on to yesterday's Tai Chi.

First, let me explain that this was a Tai Chi program on OnDemand.  I highly recommend that you either get proper instruction,of find a better instructional video than what I had access to.  Movements were explained when they were halfway finished, etc.

That said, I found I got something out of even a craptastic (props to Mel over at The Clothes Makes the Girl for that term...I like it) video.

I slept great!

Yeah, I said I was looking to it for better flexibility, and that may come in due course.  I also liked the idea of better balance, which Tai Chi is supposed to help with.  I like it because, ultimately, I'm a klutz.  Better sleep though?  I hadn't thought about it, but it does help to say the least.

Sleep is vital, and is often overlooked in our busy society.  These days I'm going to bed early in an effort to get enough sleep...like 8:30 or so early.  Since I'm the one who gets up with my daughter early in the morning, this makes sure I get enough sleep regardless of when she wakes up (most of the time).

Unfortunately, I usually wake up a half dozen times during the night.  I've done that for years.  Not last night, so I'm going to say it was the Tai Chi that made the difference.

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with what I'm getting out of my first effort with Tai Chi.  We'll see how it goes moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment